This article was first published in the East Cork Journal on November 15th 2018
We are delighted to be working with the Aghada Centre Theatre Group to make some of the stage props for their upcoming musical called Nanny Poppins. The group have already started rehearsals and plan to raise the curtains in Spring 2019.
We have already made some of the smaller props for the show and are also assisting with the transfer of other props from a theatre group in Thurles – who recently finished a run of this same show – and re-assembling these in Aghada.
We saw the weather take a turn for the worse over the weekend, and this is a timely reminder that we all have a responsibility not only to look after our own bodily and mental wellbeing, but also that of our neighbours around us in the community. In recent days the government launched its Winter Ready programme, and they have assembled a good amount of very useful information that is available on their website www.winterready.ie
Simple things you can do.
* Have important contact numbers such as doctor, Gardaí, etc. where they are quickly and easily accessible
* Have a flashlight (with charged battery) in an easily accessible location
* Have your Eircode in an easily accessible location
* Know how to turn off the electricity, gas and water in your home
In the Men’s Shed article here last week, the importance for men to get checked for prostate cancer was emphasised. This week we are also promoting getting the flu vaccination, and not just for men.
* Flu causes death and hospitalisation every year
* You need to get the Flu Vaccine every year as the virus changes every year
* The Flu vaccine contains killed viruses, so it cannot give you the flu
* Healthy people can have flu without any obvious symptoms and unknowingly pass it on.
More information is available on www.hse.ie/flu
Our Men’s shed group meet weekly at 11.30 on Friday mornings in the Edmond Rice Centre.
We welcome new members, and if you would like more information you can contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone on 087-7677866.